The Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) is administered through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. It is a utility bill assistance program that is available for LIHEAP eligible households who are customers of one of the following utilities: Ameren Illinois, ComEd, Nicor Gas and Peoples Gas/North Shore Gas. Under PIPP, eligible households pay a percentage of their income; receive a monthly benefit towards their utility bill and, arrearage reductions for every on-time payment they make, if applicable. PIPP applications will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis each month until available funding per county, per utility, and priority enrollment group is met. Applications for PIPP are taken from July 27, 2020 - March 31, 2021, or until funding is exhausted. Some Local Administering Agencies may take PIPP applications later due to available funding.
The Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP) makes it possible for low-income households to pay an affordable amount each month for their gas and electric bills, allowing more money to pay for other important and basic needs.
The PIPP will provide a better way for low- and fixed- income customers to manage their home energy costs. It will help thousands of households break the cycle of disconnection and reconnection and it will put them on a path to becoming responsible bill payers and reducing their bad debt burden. It will also improve health and safety concerns that are caused by disconnections.
At the time of your application, and all documentation has been presented, you will be given the amount of your bill that you will need to pay each month. Each time you make your “on time” full payment to Ameren Illinois, you will receive a benefit from the program.
The following criteria must be met in order to qualify for the PIPP:
- An adult household member must have an active (not disconnected) natural gas and/or electric account with Ameren Illinois.
- Income must be no more than 150% of the poverty level. Income is based on total gross income received 30 days prior to the application date.
- The participant must be willing to commit to making the full payment to the utility company on time every month in order to receive a benefit.
Contact the Outreach Office in your County to sign up during your priority period.
ITEMS TO BRING WITH YOU TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Social Security cards of all persons in home
- Most current Utility bills (Gas, Electric, Propane)
- Proof of income for all persons over age 18 living in the home – all income received for the prior 30 days including application date.